A Day in May

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Break a leg.

Next time I need medical attention, I really and truly hope it is for something NORMAL. You know, a broken arm. The flu. A burst appendix, even.

I think my doctor braces herself when I come in, wondering just what on earth is wrong with me now. I've been inadvertently inoculated in the EYE with smallpox vaccinea virus, I've had some ungodly reactions to things I'm allergic to (like peas, and when they almost killed me), I have a back rib that just *flips* out of place whenever it feels like it, I've had sinus surgery (which required WAAY too much drilling for one person to ever have to go through), and I had some funky lockjaw episode (which was just lockjaw, not the tetanus lockjaw, but still painful, yo).
(Anything else, Ma?)
Yet, I've never been in for any normal ailment. No broken bones, nothing.

My point, lest you think I lost it, is that now I may have to have surgery on my stupid foot. Because I dropped a cannister on it. Gawd, if that's not a stupid injury. The doctor said I had a ganglion, and while they don't always push for surgery, it might be a good idea in my case because the size of the lump is big enough that I have a hard time putting shoes on, and it's still painful. Tomorrow I go for an ultrasound (on my FOOT!) and xrays. Gah.

You know the worst part?? I hate...no, no, I LOATHE people touching my feet. Even my husband can't touch my feet. (He's rubbed them only once in five years).

So, oh, yes, tomorrow should be fun!!

4 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A foot ultrasound, eh? The lump is too big? Maybe they'll tell you you're having twins down there....okay, bad joke. Good luck with your medical woes.

 
At 4:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one and only thing 'normal' you've had is chicken pox! You've *already* been written up in medical journals with your totally weird ailments - watcha trying to do, go for another writeup??? oh well, love you anyways!

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

I hope it all turns out all right for you. (I wonder how long you'll have to wait to be scheduled for surgery, if you need it?) I had ultrasound on my legs once, looking for blood clots, so it's not just for pregnancy. It's too bad you have to deal with the whole foot-handling thing, though. Good luck.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no "normal" ailment. I don't know anyone who gets some medical woe, that it isn't something bizarre and alien and unpronouncible. Either you're healthy, and you think everyone else is crazy for having complaints, or you're not healthy, and you're the only one in the world that has that particular problem, so everyone thinks you're crazy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?