A Day in May

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Olfactory overload.

My house smells like sour milk and garlic. It's quite a disturbing mix.

When I got home, there was only the faint smell of garlic. Mike knocked the jar of minced garlic out of the fridge and it broke, but cleaned it all up and put it in the kitchen garbage. I'm doing a huge round of housekeeping, and took the small kitchen garbage bag and put it in the large trash bag. I disturbed the demon. Now I can *really* smell the garlic (which is actually ok).

I just finished cleaning out the fridge, and one of the things I dumped was an almost empty container of milk that's been hiding way in the back. The stink of old milk is still in the air. That is not ok.

In other news...

I called the Mac store earlier to see what it would cost to get us up and running with wireless at the new house. To have both laptops and my G5 wireless would cost about 7 or 800 dollars. All three machines need the cards (which are apparently hard to find for my old iBooks) and then we'd need the base station.

Ouch. Not gonna happen.

I guess I must resign myself to living with yards and yards of ethernet cable. Oh, the horror.

4 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Mike said...

If the macs have USB ports, check linksys and dlink to see if their USB wireless adapters have drivers for Macintosh. That would be a lot cheaper than cards.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Hrm. Never thought of that. I'll do that. Thanks, Mike.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I also remembered another solution. If you don't want to worry about finding the right driver and fiddling with getting it working, you can use a wireless bridge. Wireless bridges are designed so that any Ethernet-equipped devices such as a PC, Mac or game console can talk across a wireless network. The bridge just plugs into the Ethernet port.

TigerDirect.ca has pretty good prices on these devices. In fact, the most expensive one is less than $100.

In terms of set up simplicity, bridges might be your best alternative.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

oh, cool, Mike. I kinda know about bridges and stuff, but not really. I suppose in the new year, I'll have to do some investigating. Thanks very much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?