A Day in May

Monday, January 16, 2006

The Money Pit.

Remember 'The Money Pit'? Film my life right now, I could re-make that movie.

*sigh*

I'm just point-forming this, because I don't even have the energy to complete full sentences. I'm a little upset, a little frustrated, and mightily pissed off at people who do things the 'easy' way.

· They* painted latex over oil paint, so my friends spent all of Saturday hand stripping sheets of paint off my kitchen and dining room walls.

· Instead of using mactac or shelf paper in the kitchen drawers, they* used wallpaper. And glued it down.

· The bathroom fan is vented only into the attic. NOT where you want your moist air to go. We'll have to climb up there and run a pipe to vent it outside.

· They* spliced the electrical line for the stove, so that they could run a stove downstairs. Totally against code, and really not safe at all.

· Their washer and drier were run off extension cords from an outlet on the other side of the room.

· They* joined the city water line and the soft water line. Which means ALL the water in the house is soft, even the lawn service line. Nothing like watering with salt to kill a lawn, eh?

· They* painted over EVERYTHING. I actually had to use a pry bar on some of the switch plates, because they were painted solid to the wall.

· There are tons of other things they did wrong, or not to code, or just the easy/lazy way. Incorrect/unsafe electrical stuff and lots of quick fixes. We'll have some digging up of the yard to do come spring because of the way the eaves troughs were installed under the deck, and at one point there was a serious mouse problem, if the amount of mouse poop downstairs is any indication. I guess we'll find all this out as we go along.

And finally, the worst thing they* did – you know the overflow pipe in your tub? So that if you happen to run the bathwater too high, it drains out that little hole and down a pipe?? THEY* CUT IT. Because the bathtub wouldn't quite fit in the spot. Which means any water that went out that hole just went out into the floor. The wall behind that shower was *covered* in mold. It's all been ripped out, and the bathtub is now in the middle of the kitchen floor until whoknowswhen.

That last one was enough to send me off the deep end. This was a rough weekend, and I'm tired of backpedaling. I just got off the phone with my lawyer, to see if there is anything we can do to recoup some of the financial losses we're taking on this. We'll never get back the time we're spending, but some coins in our pockets would help a bit.

Cross your fingers for me, ok?



* I don't know specifically who 'they' are. It could have been the most recent owners, or it could have been the 'do-it-yourself' dudes who lived there before.

3 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Alyson said...

Crap. That sucks

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Sariah said...

This totally stinks! Remind me when (IF) I ever get to buy a house to make sure that there wasn't a whole lot of do-it-yourself cover-ups in the place. Because I wouldn't know how to fix it the right way, either. Good luck.

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are people you can hire to investigate a house before you buy it - People who check if *They* have been doing a little home-renovating, a little home neglecting, or even a little home business like a little grow op! Unfortunately, hiring those people costs money, and you have to do it before you buy the house...

Good luck with your repairs. Things get worse before they get better, it's always darkest before the light, and so on and so forth. But when you are done, and you look at your beautiful house, you will feel so proud!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?